Here are answers to some frequently-asked questions:
- Current members of the Jazz Orchestra and Jazz Ensemble will audition during their class periods on May 22nd. Other high school students and incoming freshmen will audition the same day, after school, between roughly 3:30-7:30pm.
- The audition signup this year will be online only. Mr. Lown has published an audition signup link to all current jazz students. Incoming freshmen will receive the middle school audition signup link in late April.
- Jazz audition music will also be released in the 3rd or 4th week of April. (Check back here for the link to download the music.)
- Students will be asked to play their prepared music and one sight reading etude. There will be an optional improvisation section accompanying the sight reading. Students may also be asked general questions related to their jazz knowledge and background so that their level can be assessed more accurately.
- Carroll's three jazz bands are competitive groups with limited spots available. Not all students who audition will be guaranteed a spot in a group. Standard instrumentation for each jazz band is 5 saxes, 4 trombones, 4 trumpets, 1 pianist, 1 guitarist, 1 bassist and 1 drummer. Of course, instrumentation may vary according to the talent of the students who audition, as well as the needs of each band as determined by the director.